Scrub turkeys (otherwise known as Brush or Bush Turkeys) always seem to show up when we visit natural areas frequented by people. However, at the Dick’s creek Landcare site they are a rare sight, so we were very excited to see one flying up through the trees a few days ago. Normally they tend to walk rather than fly but it occurs to me that is probably because National Parks and the like do not allow dogs. This turkey could not rely on the absence of dogs and other nasty predators so it obviously decided the trees were the place to be.
I was able to take some photos of it while it did some calls (which I had never heard before). Here is a snippet of the video I took:
I imagine it was driven to explore up the creek for the sake of finding a partner. I hope it does find a partner and we get to see little scrub turkeys in the future.
A quick look over of the site in order to prioritize some projects to work on over the next few weeks. It is good to see those spots where weed removal has paid off and natives are coming back but unfortunately the weeds still dominate this site.
First stop was the creek just above the First waterfall. Cassia/Senna stumpts still need to be removed and maybe even a little more difficult than that is the privet stump I left behind about six months ago. I have had a few half-hearted attempts at this stump but have never actually got it out to date. Unfortunately it has shown itself to be a true stayer, as expected. It’s time is coming to an end…
It was nice to see some ferns holding their ground against the fishbone fern.
It is a shame that some of the larger trees in the middle of the gully are invasives. There are some large privet trees which will need to go at some point. I intend on confirming they are indeed privet trees before hitting them with herbicide.
There was a few other visible weeds I could see from the top of First Fall which will be dealt with soon. A ‘tree of heaven’ that I tried to remove last year has bounced back and there are privet trees and Camphor Laurels that are coming up at present. Best to get to them before they get bigger and tougher. Balloon vine is also showing up more at present unfortunately.
Spring is here and the weather has been perfect to get some bush regeneration sorted.
My object was clear, remove the remaining lantana on the East bank that overhangs 2nd fall. I was doing this a few days back when I decided a final effort of at least a few hours. The object was not met. I never actually got to 2nd fall. Walking down the creek I came across infestation after infestation. Stuff that I just could not walk past.
Firstly, this sucker…
I had cut down this privet tree quite a while ago as other choices were limited and it was getting too large to ignore. However, as expected, it was doing its best to make a comeback. I couldn’t ignore it so I got in and finally dug it out. It was harder than usual due to the fact it had wedged itself between some bolders and rocks. Still, out it came so yay for that.
With my focus brought to privet, I decided I need to scope the size of the job to tack the privet between 1st and 2nd falls. I started walking along the East bank of the creek to look for any smaller privet I could pull out directly and determine how many larger privet trees needed to be dealt with. Privet is probably now the worst invasive tree in the creek as the other offenders have been beaten down. The most notable plant on the East bank though is Fishbone fern. Fishbone Fern is native to Australia but not to this region. It is clearly identified here as a weed by how strongly it dominates the area.
It is so numerous and prolific it has always been put off for another day. However, I stumbled onto a small outbreak of Bracken fern. I was most impressed that this Bracken Fern had somehow been able to take on the Fishbone fern. The Bracken Fern was still struggling though as it could barely be seen amongst the Fishbone so I got in and gave the Bracken Fern a bit of space and hopefully a bit more light.
Hopefully this will give it a chance to start spreading and push back the Fishbone fern somewhat.
As well as coming across a few new outbreaks of Bracken Fern, I was quite happy to see some Rasp Fern taking root further along the creek. Unfortuately it too was battling various weeds. I chopped down some privet as a temporary measure but it was need to be addressed. Small Rasp fern can be seen in the images below. It appears to have only come through after a weed was pushed back some by the landcare green team. I am uncertain about the name of that weed but I remember it was identified as originating from the african continent.
I was also a bit disturbed to find some fully grown privet trees which dominated certain sections of the upper canopy. A ‘privet attack’ is very much so needed. It will need to be a more permanant solution as well. That’ll either be pulling them out of the ground or using herbicide of some sort.
I didn’t get to my objective but it was a productive bush bash with some positive results coming through.